Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bloody Mess!

LITERALLY! So, as some of you may know, my purebred, inbred boxer BJ has allergies. And to what, you may be asking...to his ENVIRONMENT! That's right, he's allergic to trees, grass, flowers and every other thing that is normal in a dog's environment...hence the inbred comment (his parents were brother and sister I'm pretty sure). Anyway, we've been giving him allergy shots, which I guess can take up to a year before you really notice a difference (AWESOME), but he still itches like crazy. Well, he was itching so bad this week that we took him to the vet, because he'd created sores on his ears and face from itching so much. Well this morning, he started itching AGAIN, and itched a scab off his ear and it wouldn't stop bleeding. Seriously, we tried everything! The vet had given us some little cauterizing sticks to try and stop it, didn't work, tried bandaging his ear, didn't work because he'd just shake is head, and the bandage would just come right off. So, after getting blood all over the walls and multiple floors, including the carpet, we called the vet and were told to bring him in. So, I ace wrapped his whole head, which he ended up shaking it all off anyway until it was around his neck, threw him in the car and took him to the vet. I tried to keep him in one spot, but it didn't matter, because he kept shaking his head, so there was blood all over the passenger window, seat, windshield, my glasses and clothes and on the outside of the car (he was hanging his head out the window at one point, for all I know he was spraying the cars behind us too!). Anyway, they ended up having to knock him out and do surgery on his ear, so his ear is a little smaller now. Apparently it wouldn't stop bleeding because it was right next to a big artery. So, now my poor dog is home and acting like a drunk. He can't walk in a straight line, and he can't even get up on the couch without some assistance. Poor baby! It only took a half hour to clean up all the blood...not too bad ;).

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Ok so I feel bad for BJ but I was laughing reading that.

Melissa Nielsen said...

Poor puppy, and they just don't understand what is going on, just like kids. I'm glad it wasn't too big of a mess for your sake and I hope you got it out of your clothes. Although in hind sight I am sure that you will laugh about it. (Maybe next year)