Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bummed!

That about sums up how I feel. I found out today that I have gestational diabetes (pregnancy diabetes). The good news is we found it early so that I can take better care of myself and the baby for the rest of the pregnancy. How do I really FEEL? Honestly, I feel like a crappy mom! Gotta love being a woman. I've had insulin resistance for years and have been on medication for it, but there's also the fact that I'm overweight. Yes, I did lose some weight before getting pregnant, but I can't help thinking I should have been a little more "responsible" and lost more before trying to get pregnant!

As my mom says, in her attempt to cheer me up, that the only difference it makes for the baby is I will have a bigger baby. After having a 4.7 lb. baby, a bigger one definitely sounds great! So, I'm trying not to beat myself up about this, because there's not much I can do about it now. I can work on eating better (which I've already been doing this pregnancy anyway), exercising more (which I've also been doing better with this time around), and try to prevent further complications. So there's all my raw emotions. At least I'm not crying about it anymore (I felt bad for the doctor). I know that this will only make me stronger and hopefully instill better habits in me (as in not sitting down to eat peanut butter and chocolate to cope...which is what I really want ;).

4 comments:

Hilary said...

I had it with Owen and it definitely plays on your emotions... but don't beat yourself up too much, even if you could have waited longer to lose more weight, this baby obviously needed to come at this time. I just had to keep telling myself that it's only temporary, and it's great motivation afterwards to get in shape so you don't develop it later in life. Let me tell ya!

Gurr Family said...

Oh I am sorry! It is great that you found out so soon. I hope you start feeling better soon and realize you are not a crappy mom.

Laurie Wilcox said...

Dee you are awesome, and don't EVER forget it... or I will come beat you up! Sorry you are so down right now. Just try to remember knowledge is power... you know what the issue is so you can deal with it. My sister had GD with both pregnancies. The second one she had it so severe that she couldn't manage it with diet alone and had to have insulin injections. It was a big bummer but she did what she had to and now she has two healthy girls. This too shall pass. You are doing awesome!

Jenn said...

I was borderline with my 3rd baby. She was my biggest baby. I was also told, however, that gestational diabetes can account for both bigger babies and underweight babies. Perhaps you had it the first time and they didn't catch it. You are doing a great job! It's all for the best!